2005/06/24

Supreme Court Gives Local Governments the Go-Ahead to Take Our Homes

I probably don't have any regular readers since I never really post. But, pretending that I do, let me explain about this blog. I don't realy like having to follow politics. We are supposed to have a Constitution to keep the government from screwing with us. The existence of this Constitution, and the Supreme Court who supposedly ensures that the government doesn't violate said Constitution, should, in theory, allow us to completely ignore the government with no ill effects. Sadly, the system is broken. I prefer to ignore the government and concentrate on my more imaginative (and interesting) activities, but this ruling proves that I can't safely ignore the government. The Supreme Court has just ruled in Kelo v. New London that your local government can take your home and give it to someone else who will pay them more money. If the government is allowed to do this, we don't have property rights anymore. And if we don't have property rights, we don't have any place of refuge where we might create a little space of world tailored to our liking (this is what I like to spend my time doing -- it's very empowering).

I don't want to turn this into a politics site, so I will link to another site that specializes in this sort of thing. Sovereign Commentary has a lot of information on, and interesting ideas of what we can do about Kelo v. New London.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home